Rattan Immigration Canada

Rattan Immigration For Family Sponsorship

If you are a citizen or permanent resident of Canada and at least 18 years old, you can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada. Your relatives can live, study and work in Canada if they become permanent residents.

You can become a sponsor if you are:

  • A Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident
  • At least 18 years old
  • Living in Canada
  • If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.
  • You can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada
  • If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor.
Family Sponsorship
  • Able to prove that you have enough income to provide basic needs for your spouse or partner’s dependent children. You must submit documents showing your financial resources for the past 12 months only if the spouse or partner you are sponsoring has a grandchild who is coming with them (see subsection 1(3) of the IRPR for more details).

You can’t be a sponsor if you:

  • were sponsored by a spouse or partner and you became a permanent resident less than five years ago
  • Sponsored a previous spouse or partner and three years have not passed since this person became a permanent resident
  • Are in default of a previous sponsorship undertaking, an immigration loan, a performance bond or family support payments
  • Are still going through the process of bankruptcy (undischarged bankruptcy)
  • Receive social assistance for a reason other than a disability
  • Were convicted of a violent or sexual offence, an offence that caused bodily harm to a relative or you attempted or threatened to commit any of these offences
  • Are in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison
  • Are under a removal order
  • Have already applied to sponsor your current spouse, partner or child and a decision on your application hasn’t been made yet.

What it means to sponsor someone

When you agree to sponsor, you sign an undertaking, promising to give financial support for the basic needs of the people you are sponsoring, and any of their dependent children. The undertaking length varies; based on the type of family member you are sponsoring, and is between 3 and 10 years for non-residents of Quebec. Quebec will impose their own undertaking length.

  • Basic needs are food, clothing, shelter and other needs for everyday living
  • Dental care, eye care and other health needs not covered by public health services

Before signing the undertaking, you should make sure that those you sponsor won’t need to ask the government for financial help. If they receive social assistance, you’ll need to pay back what they received during the undertaking period. You won’t be able to sponsor anyone else until you have repaid the amount.

The undertaking is a binding promise of support meaning that your responsibility to support the applicant(s) will stay in effect for the length of the undertaking period even if your situation changes. For example, the undertaking won’t be cancelled even if:

  • The person you are sponsoring becomes a Canadian citizen
  • You become divorced, separated or your relationship with the sponsored person breaks down
  • The person you sponsor moves to another province or country
  • You have financial problems

Who you can sponsor

You can sponsor your spouse, common-law partner or conjugal partner if:

  • Your spouse, common-law or conjugal partner is at least 18 years old
  • Your relationship is genuine (real) and was not entered into primarily for the purpose of acquiring any status or privilege under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act.
  • If your spouse or common-law partner is applying in the Spouse or Common-law Partner in Canada class, he or she must cohabit (live) with you in Canada.

You can sponsor your dependent child as long as the child meets the definition of a dependent child. If you are sponsoring more than one dependent child, you must submit a complete set of application forms and documents for each one. Applications to sponsor dependent children are processed outside Canada.

To be eligible for permanent residence, the principal applicant and any dependants must not be inadmissible to Canada.

Sponsors living in Quebec

The province of Quebec has its own immigration rules. Find out how to sponsor someone if you live in Quebec.

Immigration Consultant Canada

Rattan Immigration is well recognized for its’ excellence in Canadian Immigration and Visa services. We provide services that assist prospective immigrants in the process of preparing error proof applications and gathering necessary supporting documents. We additionally work with the Federal and Provincial governments of Canada by bringing skilled workers into the country.

If you are seeking tailored advice and Rattan immigration solutions then please complete our initial inquiry form or schedule a in-depth legal advice session.

Book Free Consultancy!